Apple held their iPad Mini event today in San Jose and they definitely surprised us with a few announcements. Here are the highlights from the press event:
- Apple announces a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display starting at $1,699
- Apple MacMini updates for i5 dual-core start at $599 and $999 for i7 quad-core server models
- Apple reveals the new iMac with a slimmed down design with Intel’s Ivy Bridge processors and Fusion Drive as a built-to-order option
- Apple announces 4th generation iPad. Yes, you read that right. We thought this was an iPad Mini event people. Apple pulled a fast one and announced a completely updated 4th generation iPad which is essentially a hardware refresh of the iPad 3, with the new A6X Processors, a 720p FaceTime camera, and by now, infamous lightning port. Prices start at $499 for the 16GB WiFi version and $629 for the 4G versions
Whew! That was a lot to take in. Now that we covered all of the “side” announcements Apple made today, we can get into The Main Event: The iPad Mini.
Here’s what the Mini packs:
- 7.9 inch screen with a 1024 x 768 display which is the same resolution as the iPad 2
- 7.2mm thick and just .68 pounds light, it sports the same anodized edges as the iPhone 5
- Powered by the A5 Apple CPU chip it runs LTE and has a 5 megapixel camera
- 10 hours of battery life
- New iPad Mini smartcovers in 5 different “flavors”/colors
- 16GB WiFi model starts at $329, LTE versions begin around $450
- Presale begins October 26, ship November 2nd
All in all, the event was very informative and we’re very, very excited to get our hands on all of Apple’s new goodies.
We’ll be down at the Apple store in NYC on 5th Ave to take in all the action and will report back live with a hands on once we get one!